Thursday, May 7, 2009

Take Time To Do Something You Enjoy...



Every person needs and finds rejuvenation and solace
in doing something they enjoy.

It’s important to take a deep breath, to let it out
slowly and to find that certain something that
allows you to find peace and brings you great joy.
I think it is all the more important when you are
the parent of a child who is challenged in various
ways and has Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum or a
corpus callosum disorder.

For me, that certain something is hummingbirds. I
love Hummingbirds!

Hummingbirds are amazing creatures. They can do
marvelous things and are capable of doing such
unbelievable acrobatics plus they are just beautiful,
tiny birds that capture my attention and cause me
to simply stand there in amazement and be
mesmerized by their beauty and awesome movements.

I was standing in my kitchen this afternoon, while
waiting for my lunch to finish cooking, and I stood
looking out the patio window into my backyard.
While standing and staring out the window I saw a
hummingbird at the fuschia basket busily dipping
into the long, tubular pinkish/coral flowers sipping
nectar…flitting from one tiny flower bud to the next,
and in a split second his wings took him to the red
hummingbird birdbath as he explored all around the
birdbath with quick movements, back and forth,
around, dipping down almost and just about to
actually touch the water inside the bath and off
again he went to perch and sit at the hummingbird
feeder and sip sweet nectar for a few moments and
then off the hummingbird flew and out of my yard
and my vision.

I was so excited to see and be able to stand at the
window, at just the right time, to view such a show
and thrilled that the little thing explored my brand
new birdbath and almost sat on the edge of it as my
eyes were watching, my heart was happy and my
inner voice was jumping in saying…there’s a
hummingbird at my new birdbath, he’s so close to
it…oh he’s just about to…to sit….he’s near the water
inside…he’s going to sit on the rounded copper wire
and perch there atop my birdbath…Ohhh…do it…you’re
so close.

When it was all over and I was about to have my
lunch I had a revelation.

Yes, hummingbirds are amazing creatures….they are
studied and are able to do things that are not yet
understood even by the people who study them. It’s
baffling and yet nobody can explain how
hummingbirds are able to do those very incredible
things they do…baffling and yet amazing and
miraculously beautiful….

just like our kids.

So what originally started off to be a post about
taking time to do something you enjoy for yourself
and how important it is (and it is SO important too)
turned out to have a hidden message within it that
I didn’t even know was there until that hummingbird
appeared before my eyes and God spoke to my heart…

Take time to do something YOU enjoy today.

2 comments:

  1. You are an incredible writer with a gift for sharing your thoughts and feelings in a way that inspires others. Thank you for bringing hope and joy to parents that are facing seemingly insurmountable challenges in their daily lives as they raise their children. Thank you for showing us that there are oftentimes valuable messages hidden in everyday happenings, if you just take the time to stop, pay attention, and gaze in wonder. I am truly blessed to have you as a Sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rastagirl,

    Thank you very much for your comment and for the incredibly nice things you wrote.

    As I sat reading your words, I couldn't believe
    all the kind things I continued to see...and then I got to the end and thought to myself why is this girl calling me "Sister"??

    Ding! Then I picked up the phone and called "rastagirl" otherwise known as my real sister, and you know the rest.

    Now let's get together for lunch soon and you can give me some lessons in writing.

    Love,

    Your Sister AND friend ;)

    ReplyDelete

I am very interested in reading your comments and
look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.