Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Networking Perks



I was reading a favorite blog of mine a few weeks ago
about one year old Samuel who has Agenesis of the
Corpus Callosum.

One of the best parts about networking with other
parents (besides getting to see and read all about
the cute kids) are the networking perks that happen
when people share information.

Samuel's Mommy wrote:


"Samuel had an occupational therapy evaluation this
week and the therapist was super. He will be starting
weekly therapy with her soon. I am really excited
because her philosophy is one that supports the idea
of neuroplasticity, meaning the brain has the ability
to make new connections and pathways, which is perfect
for our Samuel! Also, on that note, Nic has started
reading a book recommended to us by a physical therapist
called The Brain that Changes Itself--Nic reads, then
relays to me the main points-- its good stuff!"

The Brain That Changes Itself, by Norman Doidge, M.D.

Well, that was enough for me to want to explore
the book in more detail so I went online and
pulled up my library catalog, found the book and
had it sent over to the local library in my county.
I picked it up from the library a couple days later
and sat in my car outside the library reading.

As I quickly skimmed through the pages, I was surprised
to come upon a specific program called Fast ForWord
mentioned in the book that many parents, who have a
child with agenesis of the corpus callosum, have spoken
highly of.

More specifically, you can take a look for yourself
and Read Chapter 3.

Right now I'm looking at Chapter 11 and I suspect that
it will reveal some interesting information as it deals
with a woman who shows them how radically plastic the
brain can be...she was born missing the entire left
hemisphere.

Time for me to get some reading done since this book
has several holds placed on it and time is ticking away
before it is soon due back to the library.

Thank you Samuel's Mommy for mentioning in your blog
the recommendation of The Brain That Changes Itself.
I'm so thankful that you shared it and I love and
always look forward to reading your beautiful blog.

How about you? Got any suggestions? Have you read any
specific books about the brain or anything else that
have been interesting and helpful for you and for your
child who has Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum?

I'd love to hear all about them.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Sandie I'll be sure to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too, and highly recommend it. I got it from the library, but now wish I'd bought my own copy.

    I has helped me understand how little anyone understands what happens in the brain, and what a fertile field it is for research. I think I also cut doctors a bit more slack after reading it, since it shows me that the experts are still struggling with things we'd like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading this book. In italian is called: Il cervello infinito. It is very interesting! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I am very interested in reading your comments and
look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.